Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default Cable elevators...

It took nearly all day, but persistence paid off.

For those of you wanting try porcelain pin-type cable insulators, to elevate your speaker wires off the carpet/floor----I KNEW I could find them for far less than the common $20+/ea price seen at audio stores. How about $5.85/ea?

http://www.electriciansupplies.com/p...ucts-253-S.htm

For that price, I'll give them a shot! Talk about well-guarded secrets, it took alot of surfing to find a supply house that didn't want you to order at least 1000 of the bastads.

See the pic below...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by steveinaz; 04-09-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (40)

That's what I use (not that exact model), but I scored a bucket of vintage ones from Ma Bell.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Great find Steve.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Did you notice a difference?? How long of a run are you using? I have always been curious about how far is too far.... :)
    -------------[The Ever-Evolving System -------------

LSI15's (PNF Symphony cabels, modded X-Over and subs), LSIC, LSI7's, Rega Apollo CDP (PNF ICON ICs, modified PS cct.), Yamaha RXV-1700 w/ ipod dock, B&K REF200.2 (fronts) Samsung BDP-1600, XBOX360, Patriot Box Office Media Player, 42" Samsung LCD.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

thanks steve I have been wanting some for a longtime.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Good deal, will have to order some of these. Thanks!!
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I really find it hard to believe that elevating cables off of the floor can make any kind of an audible difference. I've read the theory...and still find it impossible to believe. I'll have to cut up a piece of 2x4 sometime and make my own elevators.

Hypothetically, supposing that it actually does make a difference...Would there actually be any difference between using porcelain isolators or wood isolators? Wood is an electrically non-conductive material, and would serve the exact same purpose. Using wood, you could make an entire set of elevators for the grand sum of finding a scrap piece of 2x4 in your basement, cutting it up, making some little notches for the cables to rest in...and maybe staining it to make it look nice.

Those of you that are using them...do they actually make any difference? What kind of differences did they make?
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (40)

You guys in the low humidity, cold, dry areas should know best. How many shocks do you get walking across the carpet then grabbing a doorknob, or brushing up against another human in the abode?

Doesn't happen very often here, but as cheap as they are, who cares. In my mind, there are two grids, my electric company, and mother earth. If I could have my entire rig run on DC and float in the air, I would do it. Right now, I can't get completely off either grid (but my boy Dodd is working on that for us), so I'll get as close as I can.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Actually, I can't even remember the last time that's happened here. Very rarely, if ever, do I even get a static shock in my house. I think it happened maybe 2-3 times over the entire winter.

I don't know how cheap I'd consider them either...even at 6 bucks a piece, it'd probably cost me around $100 to elevate my cables. Is it worth it? Maybe...I guess...But I really find it hard to believe. I'm a cable believer(to a certain extent), but I won't be buying into this one anytime soon.

$100 may not be a lot of money to a lot of people...but it is to me.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Exactly Russ, we have big static around here with our super low humidity.

Jer.War--I haven't bought them yet...I've got 2 8ft runs.

Curt, 4 will easily support 8' of cable, so a set of 8 came out to about $76 shipped to S. Az. Shipping was a little high, but still less than 1/2 the cost of anything else out there. It's the type of tweak that certainly won't do any harm...

Member Sales Rating: (49)

For that price I will try them. Thanks for the link.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Cable elevators are not needed since the insulation value of the cable wires and cable jacket is sufficient.
    If you want better value or performance buy your wife or gf a nice dinner or a dozen roses with the money you've saved instead.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 04-10-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Data? Isn't this all opinion, and what sounds good to one's own ears? If you want to try them, do, if you don't, don't. It is that simple.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."

Member Sales Rating: (21)

thanks again steve.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Opinion, based only on speculation with no experience in the subject, is irrelevant and a lie.
    Relax. You can discuss a topic and state your opinion without being so abrasive, can't you?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    Cable elevators are not needed since the insulation value of the cable wires and cable jacket is sufficient.
    If you want better value or performance buy your wife or gf a nice dinner or a dozen roses with the money you've saved instead.
    If you believe they make a difference, they do. If you think they don't, they don't...

If you have never tried them yourself, then you have no reason to make any statement at all. I come from the camp that has never tried them, but is willing to give the idea a fair shake as the concept has merit, but I will TRY THEM before I form an opinion.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    If you believe they make a difference, they do. If you think they don't, they don't...

If you have never tried them yourself, then you have no reason to make any statement at all. I come from the camp that has never tried them, but is willing to give the idea a fair shake as the concept has merit, but I will TRY THEM before I form an opinion.
    If you understand science, then you don't have to try everything. You don't need to use drugs to know they are bad for you. You trust science to tell you that the earth is round and not flat. You don't have to prove it and you definitely don't have to prove the absurd.
    Some just have to touch the stove after being told it is hot, but others don't and they don't get burned.

Main HT/2 ch:

MB HT/ 2 ch:

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

The link was provided for those who wish to give it shot--without having to pay "boutique" audio store prices, simple as that. If you find it silly or baseless, move along. What a boring hobby this would be if some people didn't do a little experimentation, right? Climb out of the box...

I see you're running a Monster HTS powerbar, why not a $3.99 outlet strip? Science tells me 120volts is a 120volts...see where I'm goin with this?
    Last edited by steveinaz; 04-10-2010 at 12:45 PM.

I'm not all that confident they will make a difference either, but there's only one way to find out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by phuz View Post
    Relax. You can discuss a topic and state your opinion without being so abrasive, can't you?
    Exactly. Granted, X stated they "are not needed", like it is a fact, when in fact, that is his opinion. But, do we really need to call people liars instead of saying "I disagree, and this is why__". The former is just likely to escalate into name calling and nobody wants that, you SOBs.

:D

Exactly, no need to go into "attack" mode. Everybody has a right to an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    ...I see you're running a Monster HTS powerbar, why not a $3.99 outlet strip? Science tells me 120volts is a 120volts...see where I'm goin with this?
    I like the volt and amp meters on the Monster powerbar's.:D
    Actually I lost some electronic equipment after storms using the cheap powerbars. Since using the Monster powerbars here for several years there have been no losses, so I am happy.:)

Quote Originally Posted by seeclear View Post
    Exactly. Granted, X stated they "are not needed", like it is a fact, when in fact, that is his opinion. But, do we really need to call people liars instead of saying "I disagree, and this is why__". The former is just likely to escalate into name calling and nobody wants that, you SOBs.

:D
    No this is the kinder and gentler Polk Audio forum. Name calling is forbidden.
    At the end of the day we just politely agree to disagree and sing cumbaya.;)
    Last edited by xcapri79; 04-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Main HT/2 ch:

MB HT/ 2 ch:

Listening Room 2 ch:
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

I didn't want to be hypocritical, so I just ordered 8ea, if they don't do anything--I'll karma those pups.

$74.17 shipped.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Does anyone have a good source for the full theory or concept? Does the theory pretty much only apply to carpet? What about concrete?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

If you understand science, then you don't have to try everything. You don't need to use drugs to know they are bad for you. You trust science to tell you that the earth is round and not flat. You don't have to prove it and you definitely don't have to prove the absurd.
    Some just have to touch the stove after being told it is hot, but others don't and they don't get burned.
    If you understand that the physiology of the human ear and the brain it's connected to are unique to each individual, you would understand that we all hear things slightly different than the next person does. These differences are fact, and as such, some folks are blessed (or cursed depending on your viewpoint) with the ability to hear the differences being discussed.

I had a woman at work that could smell on my clothes the fact that I cooked ribs on the grill three weeks ago even though the shirt in question had been washed twice since that time, so I do not doubt the abilities of those that claim to hear things others can't. Some things science can do, but to explain the abilities of the human body to do the remarkable things it does? They can keep trying and will always be left scratching their heads and asking more questions.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    If you understand that the physiology of the human ear and the brain it's connected to are unique to each individual, you would understand that we all hear things slightly different than the next person does. These differences are fact, and as such, some folks are blessed (or cursed depending on your viewpoint) with the ability to hear the differences being discussed.

I had a woman at work that could smell on my clothes the fact that I cooked ribs on the grill three weeks ago even though the shirt in question had been washed twice since that time, so I do not doubt the abilities of those that claim to hear things others can't. Some things science can do, but to explain the abilities of the human body to do the remarkable things it does? They can keep trying and will always be left scratching their heads and asking more questions.
    I guess I have to be thankful for the wax in my ears. It saves me money.:p

Main HT/2 ch:

MB HT/ 2 ch:

Listening Room 2 ch:
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

I guess I have to be thankful for the wax in my ears. It saves me money.:p
    Me, too. And the tinnitus.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Science, Reality, My rig, My money, My time.

The price is right to try them out, and I will do so. At least I will be able to say I did so, and have an opinon about them. I have my opinon about Emo Gear, and the reason I do is because I have tried it, and I have put them up against other gear, and I now know I will never buy any other Emo gear.

I wasted more money and time on Emotiva then the $80 it will cost me to try these..

MY MONEY, MY TIME, MY OPINON!!!.

Nuff said!!!!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

i dont know about these cable lifters but in electronics class many moons ago our professor had an o scope set up and showed the frequency strength/response/ accuracy when comparing bare wire to insulated wire. the difference was very noticable. the test was as it relates to radio waves but the transfer of signal is the same theory. i believe isolating from any dialectric will make a difference. measurable? most likely, and dependent on the amount of charge. audible? youd have to try it and find out.

Thread Information