Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Power Conditioner?

Hey all...

Is a power conditioner a good idea for my ht rig? I have everything on a $30 surge protector, but read something about them. I looked at some Furman products, and saw some that looked ok. Is it worth the $100 to $150 price?
    What should i look for as far as features? And should I install a separate circuit just for the conditioner?

As always, any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Thank You in advance.....

....Brother
    "Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics." BillD

Pioneer Elite SC-57
    M70 series 2 mains
    CS2 center
    M40 surround
    M30 front height
    SVS PB 12 NSD

Carver TFM-45 (mains)
    Carver A753x (center, surround)

320GB PS3, 42" Panasonic G10,

M60's as a Zone 2 off of the Pioneer in the living room

R.I.P. Onkyo TX-NR807

Member Sales Rating: (9)

i like pert plus....lol

Make sure you look for a power conditioner/surge suppressor that is UL rated and posts the UL certificate seal and it's UL 1449 Adjunct Classification Test Results. Federal Guidelines: Grade A, Class 1, Mode 1. If a company doesn't post it's UL test results and doesn't have a UL seal than avoid it.

Do NOT buy power conditioners from stores like Best Buy, Walmart, those models are MOV's and use ground. You want to find a conditioner that doesn't use ground and is not an MOV.

A well respected company is SurgeX, look into their 'Residential' series. SurgeX models are used through out new Dallas Cowboys Stadium, new Yankee Stadium. The SurgeX model I own (SurgeX XR315) is used in Carnegie Hall.

http://www.listentech.com/blog/Dalla...lights-Listen/

http://resmagonline.com/blog/36674.aspx

http://www.surgex.com/media/index.html

http://surgex.com/

This explains in detail:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1046031&page=4

Also, contact SurgeX with an email and tell them specifically your HT setup and what amp outlet you're running it off of. They'll most likely ask if it's a 15 amp or 20 amp.

My neighbor works for National Grid in Massachusetts and has over 20 years experience in commercial and residential. He set up my house and did a great job.

Other excellent industry respected companies that are higher end are Exact Power, Furman Reference Series, Richard Gray Power. But, before you go to that much expense I'd add two 20 amp outlets (1 for the HT amp, 1 for everything else). Then add a whole house surge protector for about $400. Then use two SurgeX amp units for each outlet.

In my opinion you'd be much better adding the outlets, whole house protection and decent SurgeX units than one high end unit. You could use any of the high end units listed above instead of the SurgeX if you prefer.

If you add outlets makes sure both are on the same phase.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Get what I have, A Power Regenerator!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I'm a fan of both Panamax and Equitech.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Panamax , Furman (sorta the same company today) and APC is who I trust. Adding a Surge protector to ones system is smart. I will never go without one. You can and risk your system.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Panamax is pretty good for the buck, check Audiogon for some excellent deals out there.

Not sure what the heck "pert plus" has to do with a power conditioner, but a tad better input would be nice.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvideo View Post
    Also, contact SurgeX with an email and tell them specifically your HT setup and what amp outlet you're running it off of. They'll most likely ask if it's a 15 amp or 20 amp.
    SurgeX is a genuine power conditioner/surge protector, unlike MOV-based types such as Monster, Panamax and Furman. As a matter of fact, I have an unused, new SurgeX SX1120-RT that I purchased, but will not be using because I recently got a hold of a Tice Power Block that I've been salivating over. Anyone interested in a new SurgeX unit at a discount? They typically sell for around $450 - $500 on the web.
    Main: Klipsch KSP-400
    Cntr: Klipsch KSP-C6
    Rr/Sd Surr: Klipsch KSP-S6 (x 2)
    Rear: Klipsch KSW-150 Subwoofer
    Side Prs: Klipsch KSB 3.1
    Rear Prs: Klipsch KSB 2.1
    Frnt Prs: Klipsch SS-3
    HK Signature 2.1 (x 3)
    HK Signature 2.0
    HK DMC-1000
    Tice Power Block Sig III
    Fosgate DSL 3
    Fosgate DSL 3A
    Denon DVD 5900
    Denon DVD 2800 MkII
    ADC SS-525x
    ADC SS-325x
    DBX 400X
    NuReality Vivid 3D
    Akai GX R-88
    Pioneer PL-L1000A
    Pioneer SR-60
    Pioneer EX-9000
    Pioneer CTS-600
    Sanyo Plus N55

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ibewbrother View Post
    Hey all...

Is a power conditioner a good idea for my ht rig? I have everything on a $30 surge protector, but read something about them. I looked at some Furman products, and saw some that looked ok. Is it worth the $100 to $150 price?
    What should i look for as far as features? And should I install a separate circuit just for the conditioner?

As always, any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Thank You in advance.....

....Brother
    Uhhh, I'd highly suggest you invest some time researching the difference between series and parallel wired surge protectors, as well as the pros and cons of the common MOV-type variety (Monster, Panamax, Furman, APC, for example) and the non- MOV types such as SurgeX, Tice (old school), PS Audio, Richard Gray, for example... My suggestion: Go with the non-MOV!!!!
    Main: Klipsch KSP-400
    Cntr: Klipsch KSP-C6
    Rr/Sd Surr: Klipsch KSP-S6 (x 2)
    Rear: Klipsch KSW-150 Subwoofer
    Side Prs: Klipsch KSB 3.1
    Rear Prs: Klipsch KSB 2.1
    Frnt Prs: Klipsch SS-3
    HK Signature 2.1 (x 3)
    HK Signature 2.0
    HK DMC-1000
    Tice Power Block Sig III
    Fosgate DSL 3
    Fosgate DSL 3A
    Denon DVD 5900
    Denon DVD 2800 MkII
    ADC SS-525x
    ADC SS-325x
    DBX 400X
    NuReality Vivid 3D
    Akai GX R-88
    Pioneer PL-L1000A
    Pioneer SR-60
    Pioneer EX-9000
    Pioneer CTS-600
    Sanyo Plus N55

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

^^^ reported
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I've been looking into the SurgeX units too, mainly the SX1115 line. From the reviews I've read,they are supposed to be pretty well made and do their job.

[QUOTE=Polkie2009;1322938]I've been looking into the SurgeX units too, mainly the SX1115 line. From the reviews I've read,they are supposed to be pretty well made and do their job.[/QUOTES]

SurgeX is the best conditioner/surge suppressor I ever owned and only one I would trust for my setup.

I thought about their SX1115 line too but it's not for residential use. Before I bought my SurgeX I too was interested in the SX1115 line and I contacted them and they told me that for home theater the SurgeX XR315 is better for home and will do a better job for HT. It also matters what wall outlet amp you're running your system off of, the model depends if it's a 15 amp or 20 amp outlet. I'm running mine off a 15 amp outlet. Make sure you contact SurgeX and tell them your specific HT setup and what amp outlet it is.

SurgeX Residential:

http://surgex.com/residential/index.html

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by BizmanJoe View Post
    Uhhh, I'd highly suggest you invest some time researching the difference between series and parallel wired surge protectors, as well as the pros and cons of the common MOV-type variety (Monster, Panamax, Furman, APC, for example) and the non- MOV types such as SurgeX, Tice (old school), PS Audio, Richard Gray, for example... My suggestion: Go with the non-MOV!!!!
    Why don't you enlighten us?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Sound quality.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

I am using the Cyberpower in my sig. DOuble conversion and 0 transfer time. I like it so far. My tube pre is sensitive to voltage drops like when AC motors in the house come on. The CP has resolved that problem.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Thanks for the info digitalvideo, I'll direct my search for the XR315. I see a lot of the used SX1115's for sale and just figured people had used them for a HT application.

For HT I like APC. For audio I like A.R.T. PRO units with APF filtering.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Right now I have a Monster PC in my HT, a Monster PC in our bedroom for our Plasma TV, a APC in the family room for our LCD TV, and a Panamax 5500 in my 2 channel rig.

All 4 seem to be doing their job just fine. a Power Conditioner is a must with a flat screen TV not only for protection but for Picture Quality, when you get a nice Power Conditioner you will be amazed at the PQ, you will fill like you just got a new TV..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Larry, try plugging your amps directly into the wall and let me know if you hear a difference.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information