Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default My new Turntable

I picked up my mono-blocks today from being serviced and while in the area, I couldn't resist stopping at the local high-end shop. Temptation got the better of me (wanting a new TT and all)...I walked out with this new Music Hall mmf-5.1. I don't have it hooked up yet and just took it out of the box 5 minutes ago.:D
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Nice pic! Sometimes I think there as many different turntables as there members in Club Polk. It's incredible the buying and selling in this area!

I still have to decide if I want to revive the vinyl I have from my 20s...I haven't bought any since then, and I was a poor student then who could not afford many LPs. A real shame because it really was the GOLDEN AGE OF THE LP!

Enjoy!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Nice TT Tim. What cartridge did you get with it?
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Nice pic! Sometimes I think there as many different turntables as there members in Club Polk. It's incredible the buying and selling in this area!

I still have to decide if I want to revive the vinyl I have from my 20s...I haven't bought any since then, and I was a poor student then who could not afford many LPs. A real shame because it really was the GOLDEN AGE OF THE LP!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Thanks! It is recently that I got back into vinyl. When we moved to this place 2 years ago, it was the packing up of my "hobby room" and the old lps that really brought me back. Especially now that I am at a point in my life when I can afford the equipment to appreciate it. Along with sources for vinyl that I always wanted but never had.

Fongolio, it has the Goldring 2200. Best part is, I got good deal, I think. $750...It was demo unit that had only been up for 2 weeks. I made the guy box it up while I sat in another room listening to Houses of the Holy on vinyl through Magnepan 20.1's.

Musicdirect sells the Music Hall Goldring combo for $885.00 so you got a good deal. I'll be hoping you post a review in the near future. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Shiny! Welcome to the fabulous, tantalizing world of vinyl. :D

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

AFter you get it set up and are digging the vinyl glee, I'll start breaking your balls about upgrades that will wow you.:D

When you are ready, give me a holler!

Member Sales Rating: (55)

I'm not an expert or anything near it, but you're going to want some fresh vinyl for that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    AFter you get it set up and are digging the vinyl glee, I'll start breaking your balls about upgrades that will wow you.:D

When you are ready, give me a holler!
    I will absolutely do that, and thanks for the offer, it is much appreciated. I am not exactly new to vinyl, but I AM new to the real appreciation factor. I got this thing all hooked up today...actually just a couple hours ago (I am a night owl). I am pretty much dumbfounded....this is just beyond words. I have heard things I never did when listening to the same on cd. At the moment I am kind of speechless. I don't think I want to ever listen to another cd...ever!

So far, I have spun Dio, Rainbow in the Dark (a Japanese import that had been played maybe 3 times previous), Genesis, Al Stewart Year of the Cat, and Stevie Wonder My Cherie Amore.

It will take some more use, but so far it has me convinced that the Monitors are meant for vinyl. They have never sounded better.

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    I'm not an expert or anything near it, but you're going to want some fresh vinyl for that thing.
    How did I know you were going to make that suggestion?

I just love that first time one hears vinyl on a good rig wow feeling. Some LP's are better than others but now and then I put a record on and there I am again.....WOW. That hit me a little better than two years ago and I owned one LP from the bad old days (a near mint copy of the Scorpions Blackout). Today I have nearly 1500 rock pop and jazz titles and another 100 or so classical. Just like crack, when you get a taste you want more. Good thing is George is happy to feed my habit.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    I just love that first time one hears vinyl on a good rig wow feeling. Some LP's are better than others but now and then I put a record on and there I am again.....WOW. That hit me a little better than two years ago and I owned one LP from the bad old days (a near mint copy of the Scorpions Blackout). Today I have nearly 1500 rock pop and jazz titles and another 100 or so classical. Just like crack, when you get a taste you want more. Good thing is George is happy to feed my habit.

Kelvin
    Yep yep, I smell what yer' steppin' in! George has become my newest bestest buddy.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on this table, as there's about a 99% chance that I'll be getting a MMF-5.1 when I get around to upgrading my TT.

I've read a lot of complaints about the stock Goldring cart being less than stellar though. It seems that many people have found big improvements by switching to a better cart.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on this table, as there's about a 99% chance that I'll be getting a MMF-5.1 when I get around to upgrading my TT.

I've read a lot of complaints about the stock Goldring cart being less than stellar though. It seems that many people have found big improvements by switching to a better cart.
    I am not so sure I would be the one to listen to on anything TT related. I went from an old Technics cheapy thing from a complete setup that was bought new back in 80s, right before the Adcoms, straight to this Music Hall piece. I am not one for upgrading $10 dollars at a time. I would have no idea as to how to rate this cartridge as I have no experience with anything else. Although, I would love to have something else to swap in...just to see the difference.

Maybe one day, I will actually have enough experience to offer an evaluation that would hold some merit. "Less than stellar..." Sounds pretty dadgum stellar to me!:) But when you have nothing else to compare it with...

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeTim View Post
    I am not so sure I would be the one to listen to on anything TT related. I went from an old Technics cheapy thing from a complete setup that was bought new back in 80s, right before the Adcoms, straight to this Music Hall piece. I am not one for upgrading $10 dollars at a time. I would have no idea as to how to rate this cartridge as I have no experience with anything else. Although, I would love to have something else to swap in...just to see the difference.

Maybe one day, I will actually have enough experience to offer an evaluation that would hold some merit. "Less than stellar..." Sounds pretty dadgum stellar to me!:) But when you have nothing else to compare it with...

Don't worry, your impressions won't be much better than mine would be...lol

The only "real" TT I've ever owned is the Yamaha P-300 that I have now. It's not a bad TT in it's own right...but it's nothing to write home about...lol

I'll be satisfied with a simple "this thing sounds badass!!!" kind of review...lol;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Very nice Tim! Listen to George and get yourself some fresh vinyl!:D;)
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    Very nice Tim! Listen to George and get yourself some fresh vinyl!:D;)
    It just so happens that I recieved a package from George on Saturday morning. I got my amps back on Thursday and buy a new TT. I hook up the TT on Friday and spin a few. I get a package from George on Saturday.

I can't wait to see what Sunday brings!! With any luck, the Hawaiian Tropic tour bus will break down in front of the house!:D

So far so good! The only complaint I have is that it picks up every bit of anything on the album. I really think that if I farted near this thing, it would detect the poop atoms that settled on the vinyl! I can see I am going to have to get out the Brillo pads and give the albums a good scrubbin'.

I don't know the proper terminology, but it seems to be more laid back. A "warmer" sound than the same thing on cd. Certain things don't seem as forward...more balanced. Back to back vinyl vs cd...give me the vinyl.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

So far so good! The only complaint I have is that it picks up every bit of anything on the album. I really think that if I farted near this thing, it would detect the poop atoms that settled on the vinyl! I can see I am going to have to get out the Brillo pads and give the albums a good scrubbin'.

I don't know the proper terminology, but it seems to be more laid back. A "warmer" sound than the same thing on cd. Certain things don't seem as forward...more balanced. Back to back vinyl vs cd...give me the vinyl.
    That's a pretty good description of the sound difference! And yeah it is hard to keep vinyl clean and silent unless one has some extra equipment like a record cleaning machine that many HERE use--they run around 600 dollars or so....do a search and you can even see pictures. I've never used one but I hear they work wonders.

Even so DUST is ubiquitous and it likes needles, cartridges and loves Vinyl. When the CD first appeared that was its claim to fame...perfect silence...NO surface noise. No need to run 100 pound lead platters with spider web weighted high end magnetic cartridges and fancy tone arm designs that took torque into consideration and on and on..

No need to keep your vinyl in storage jackets and vacuum sealed dustproof rooms, etc. Of course I am partially kidding. But anyone who thinks keeping vinyl clean is a snap! Well.....

On the other hand even the BEST CD player has some trouble trying to play as warmly as a mid-fi turntable!

The point being if you get into vinyl (and I have not yet returned to it). You need to make some serious investments and be a bit 'anal' or MORE than 'anal' about your surfaces.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 04-12-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Yeah Bro, you need to get those records cleaned. I use a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine. There are lots of RCMs out there and they can be expensive but you can go the DIY route. There's lots about them here on the forum. Search around. Keiko used a manual cleaning system for a while that was pretty cheap IRRC so does bikerboy. Look around the internet too you may find a used RCM on the cheap.

Thread Information