Systems Showcase

Zeros' Basement / Home Theater Room

Here is my basement / home theater area from bare walls to finished. Except for drywall, granite countertops and carpet, all of the work was completed by myself and a few friends and relatives. We even moved the HVAC trunks, which was a bit scary and intimidating for a HVAC first timer. All of the speakers are built into columns, except the rears. I understand that this affects sound quality, but it was a compromise with the wife. We needed a room that is more than just a theater room as well as a way to keep the kids from touching everything. By hiding the speakers in the columns and walls we were able to accomplish this. Up front in a soffit is a 108" Monoprice motorized screen. Mounted behind the screen is a 42" Panasonic plasma for when the projector is not in use. The equipment rack is installed in the wall to the right of the main seating. The IR signal is passed from a receiver at the screen to the equipment rack. The wall sconces and recessed lighting are all controlled through a Lutron Spacer System of switches. These switches can receive IR signals from the Harmony 880 remote. We have different scenes set up for different activities, such as watching a movie or playing video games. To the right of the seating area is a small bathroom. Behind the seating is the bar / kitchenette area. In this area we have three bar stools for additional seating. In the kitchen we installed a wine racks, beverage cooler, microwave and a popcorn maker (a recent addition that the kids love). All of the cabinetry was ordered from a local cabinet design company and installed by myself. That was quite an adventure. Our office area has some additional seating as well as our desk and desktop computer / media server. Around the corner is a small room for our children to play and store all of their toys. The room is wired for cable and will eventually have a small LCD screen installed when the kids are older.

Electronics

• Denon AVR-890
  • Home Theater PC
  • Xbox 360
  • Optoma HD20
  • Monoprice 108" Motorized Screen
  • Panasonic TH42-PX80U Plasma

HTPC

• AMD Athlon X2 250
  • 3GB DDR2
  • ATI 5450 GPU
  • LITE-ON Blu-Ray Drive