Systems Showcase

(adj) smelling of mud or earth / unrefined / uncouth

CHANGE 03/27/2010: *I found the best effect to be directly above and below the display and it creates a very wide, deep and pronounced front soundstage. It's the most movie theater like that I've heard but it did throw some odd SDA effects from time to time because of the upper SBar. I'd expound on all this with fancy threads but its just for fun and I send all my information directly to Polk in regards to plots, diagrams and freq. response stuff. Perhaps something new or recommended will come about from it, who knows. There are more motivated and bettter reviewers than myself anyways. Happy Listening! I picked up two Surround Bar50 in order to test some Wide Left/Right and High Left/Right theory in a psuedo 9.1 setup. I figured using an additional SBar50 will effectively give me this with the benefit of SDA for area fill. It ended up working really well and ultimately wish I could mount the second SBar directly above the television for good. The testing I performed was between 4-24" for the upper SBar. The lower was right below the actual display. The impact from the SBar alone is very noticeable. As far as surround effects, for this exercise, it's not really geared towards an increase in that but the center/front stage image was really awesome. It's not a difficult idea. I just utilized the SDA effect as designed within the SBar50 in conjunction with the 9.1 option since they seem to compliment one another to me. I'm currently using a Onkyo TX-NR5000 AVR. For my digital media conversion it's an iTouch in conjunction with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic on a Wadia docking station. It sounds really awesome upconverted or in lossless. The hardcore wouldn't even know the difference unless you told them and that's just a sad testament. I'll get some pics up soon or when I get motivated. My homeboys at SVS turned me onto the SVS/Audyssey AS-EQ1 to tame the room for my PB12-Ultra/2. The Polk Forum has been an excellent resource, friendly getaway, and this hobby gets better and worse, every day. Additional thanks: Frank Dai at www.signalcable.com for his guidance and outstanding cables that explode everywhere in my 5.1 HT and beyond. Paul Lemanski at www.adonacorporation.com for creating the rack for my gear and being very helpful in the decision making process. The work he creates is absolutely top notch and a impressive to see in person. Ed/Erik/Tom & Ron @ SVSound for being friends since my virginal CES sacrifice many years ago.

DWI

• Quad Active 12L (Loudspeakers)
  • Signal Cable (Interconnects - All)

Das Festhaus 5.1

• Sony Bravia KDL-52V5100 (LCD)
  • Onkyo TX-NR5007 (AVR)
  • Sony PS3 (SACD/Blu-Ray)
  • Polk Audio SurroundBar 50 x2 (Main)
  • Polk Audio OWM5 (Center Surround)
  • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 (Subwoofer)
  • Cambridge Audio DacMagic (iTouch DAC)
  • Signal Cable (Interconnects - All)
  • Magnum Dynalab STF-2 (FM Antenna)
  • SVS/Audyssey AS-EQ1 (Room Correction)
  • Wadia 170i (iTouch Dock)

Den of Iniquity

• TBD (Loudspeakers)
  • TBD (Pre-Amp)
  • TBD (Source)
  • CTC BBQ (Amplifier - Parasound JC1 Prototype)
  • MIT - Shotgun S3 Bi-Wire (Speaker)
  • MIT - Shotgun S3 (Interconnects - All)
  • Bright Star Audio Gemini 2 (Isolation)
  • Bright Star Audio Big Rock 4 (Isolation)
  • Bright Star Audio Air Mass 3 (Isolation)
  • Bright Star Audio Little Rock 4 (Isolation)
  • PS Audio Juice Bar (Outlet Strip)
  • Adona Modular 45 (System Rack - Isolation - Shot Loaded)
  • Sennheiser HD-580 (MOD - Cardas)