Systems Showcase

DONTO'S

Donto's Get-Away! is just that, a place to escape and relax listening to my favorite music or viewing movies. My Audio Room is 14' deep By 18' Long. The Heart of my system: 9 Power Amplifiers: 5 are Parasound Amps all Designed by Audio/Electrical Engineer, John Curl. (Wonderful, Dependable High Current Amps) and 4 each DIY Mono Set Amps in 2 chassis. Pre-amplification is also by Parasound. P/HP-850 (Direct Coupled Output) with Phono Stage My Main Front, Left/Right Loudspeakers are a pair of POLK Model 12c "Real Time Array" R.T.A. 12c Monitors........................................................ I purchased these 12c's New in 1987. 25 years old!...However: I Love these 12c's. Deep Tight Bass (17 Hz to 26,000 KHz), They deliver a huge detailed transparent soundstage and they represent vocals (Both male and Female) with such a "You are there realism". Old Speakers, However: Very Well designed (Thank you! Matthew Polk!)..... I have upgraded some of the compoinets in the crossover units ( More to upgrade)..... But the drivers all remain the same. These 12c's really love High current Amps and can handle up to 500 watts. 4 ohm impedance, max output level is 118db with an efficiency of 92db. Not bad for a Loudspeaker designed over 21 years ago......................................................................................... I tried various Mid/High frequency horns and decided on a pair of JBL Horns............................................................................................................I did not want to physlcally modify the RTA12Cs cabinets to incorporate the JBL Horn Drivers. I made 2 separate cabinets, that fit atop without fasteners to the RTA's cabinet. The JBL drivers have a 12 db per octave slope and frequencies below 4500 HZ do not pass to the JBLs............................................................................................................. This system uses 3 each seperate Subwoofer Units.................................... Cabinets are Home Built fitted with 15" Subwoofer Drivers and wired with hand built LOW PASS Crossover Units. Bass is Extremely Well Controlled (Not Boomy) Fast Tight and can and does rattle windows/doors and anything loose in the room.

AMPLIFIERS:

• Parasound HCA 3500 Ultra High Current Amp. 500 Watts Per Channel. (Drives Left / Right, POLK Model RTA.12c Monitors, Mid bass & bass Drivers).
  • Parasound HCA 1500A High Curent Amp. Bridged to 630 Watts. (Drives Left Channel Subwoofer).
  • Parasound HCA 1500A High Curent Amp. Bridged to 630 Watts. (Drives Right Channel Subwoofer).
  • Parasound HCA 1500A High Curent Amp. Bridged to 630 Watts. (Drives Center [Left Voice-Coil] Subwoofer).
  • Parasound HCA 1500A High Curent Amp. Bridged to 630 Watts. (Drives Center [Right Voice-Coil] Subwoofer).
  • 4 DIY Mono Set Amps housed in 2 chassis (2 Mono amps Drive the JBL Horns and 2 Mono Amps drive the Polk SL2000 High Frequency Drivers.

CD PLAYER:

• Onkyo DVCD-C503 Player.
  • Samsung 1080p7 DVD / CD 1080i, 1080p Player.

POWER SUPPLY / CONDITIONING:

• 2 each Dedicated 20 Amp Circuits (For Power Amps).
  • 1 each Dedicated 20 Amp Circuit. (For AUX Equipment).
  • 1 each ADCOM AC Enhancer ACE-515. (For DVD /CD Players and other Aux Equipment).
  • Home Built Power Conditioning Unit (Just For Power Amps) Isolation Transformers with Filtration Circuits, Time Delayed Power-Up / Off, Voltage Monitor with Auto-Shut-Down @ Low/High Voltage Set Points.
  • Surge Protection: 4 each Woods Premier 8150 Joiles, 11,000 Volts / 19,000 Amps.

PREAMPLIFIER

• Parasound P/HP-850 (With Phono Stage)

PROCESSORS:

• Pioneer PR-5500 Dynamic Processor.

SPEAKER WATT db METERS:

• 4 each, Realistic Model APM-200 Audio Power Meters

SPEAKERS:

• Left / Right Channels: POLK Model "Real Time Array" RTA12C Monitors
  • Left / Right Channel Subwoofers: Home Built Cabinets H-32" x W-16" x D-25" Each Fitted with a Single 15" Single Voice Coil Driver (FR: 20 - 100 Hz with Hand Built Crossover).
  • Center Subwoofer: Home Built Cabinet H-24" x W-25" x D-25" Fitted with a 15" Dual Voice-Coil Driver with Hand Built Crossover. (FR: 20 - 150 Hz).

TAPE TRANSPORT PLAYER:

• Technics RS-TR272 Dual Cassette Rec/Player.

VIDEO DISPLAY:

• Toshiba Intergrated High Def 50" DLP Projection TV.