Frequently Asked Questions

What receiver or amplifier works best with Polk loudspeakers?

Amplifiers or receivers that use a high current design in the power amp section work well with Polk loudspeakers and generally sound better. Unfortunately, electronics manufacturers do not publish the current capabilities of their products. The best way to determine whether a given model is high current or not is to look at the wattage specs. High current models have much higher wattage ratings into 4 ohms than into 8 ohms. If there is also a wattage rating for 2 ohms which is higher than for 4 or 8 ohms, so much the better.

The following brands are by no means the only high current amplifiers or receivers on the market, but they generally work well with Polk loudspeakers. Models from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harmon-Kardon, B&K, Adcom, NAD, Rotel, and Pioneer Elite should provide a good starting point. Your Polk retailer can help you select a receiver or amp that is suitable for your speakers.

For more information on amplifier power ratings, click here.

This FAQ was last modified on July 31, 2014

← Return to Frequently Asked Questions