This product is a vintage Polk model and is not available for sale, but it may still be available in some stores as a closeout or used product. The following text is taken from the original sales brochure for this product and does not reflect current availability. If you happen to have any question or concerns about this product, or any other Polk Audio product, feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm EST
C400.4 (4/3/2 Channels)
4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier
"The C400.4 makes great power, looks totally cool and comes in a tight package. The amp exceeds its power ratings in all categories by a significant margin...this amp is a hit." - Performance Auto & Sound, Feb. 2005
"The higher-current through-hole components are better quality, using tighter tolerances. There are lots of film capacitors in the signal processing sections, and all of the switches and potentiometers have a nice feel to them. These components are all mounted on a true double-sided fiberglass circuit board." - Car Audio & Electronics
When I swapped out my (Brand X) for the Polk amps, I was doing it strictly so that my amps and subs would match. Boy, was I surprised when my components sounded better then they ever have before! They were crisper and tighter then any amp I had put on the speakers previously. Polk amps are definitely some of the best amps I have come across in my almost ten years of being in the car audio market and I would suggest them to anyone from the entry level customer to the out-most enthusiast!" - Lynn Ramp, Award-Winning Competitor
Ditch your passive Xover: Bi-Amp with the C400.4
With the C400.4, you can power a pair of Polk/MOMO (say that four times fast!) Components using the active crossover inside the amplifier instead of the speaker system's passive crossover. Ditch those passive crossovers and wire up your MMC Series Components directly to this amplifier. Then press the C400.4's Pre EQ Switch and instantly get greater dynamic range and higher efficiency with your MMC Series Speakers. Love to tweak and tweak again? Audio perfectionists would die to have this feature on their amps. You could be one of them. And you don't have to die. This time.
Championship Performance means: More Power. Better Sound. More Control. Built To Be The Best.
- Polk's Massive Dynamic Headroom (MDH) Power Supply uses multiple smaller-value capacitors wired in parallel to lower the Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR). This lowers impedance for more efficiency, faster transient response, more instantaneous power peaks, tighter bass and better control.
- The MDH Power Supply features oversized Toroidal Transformers to more easily deliver high voltage, high current power. This set of tremendous transformers lowers the incidental radiation of stray magnetic fields for uncontaminated audio signals.
- Oversized Power Supply BUS Bars achieve maximum power transfer from the MDH Power Supply to the audio circuitry for more efficient high voltage, high current output stages.
- Power Supply â€œChokeâ€? Inductor reduces stray noise effects from power cables and alternators, cutting ground loop disturbances for truly quiet amp performance.
- High current Bipolar Output Transistors with low impedance pump maximum voltage and high-current to your speakers. Dual low noise Operational Amplifiers at the input gain stages deliver higher gain & wider bandwidth at a faster â€œslewâ€? rate (with the ability to change voltage â€œon the flyâ€?), for excellent transient response.
- High-end Non-Inductive Metalized Film Capacitors in the active filter stages for excellent transient response and extended bandwidth with low noise and low distortion.
- Surface mounted Metal Film Resistors are used in the audio signal path, delivering higher performance with lower noise and less fluctuation (â€œvalue driftâ€?) over time. MFR technology is so stable that your music will sound perfect for the life of your amp.
- High damping factor at the speaker output terminals improves driver control for tighter, punchier bass.
- While most amps have an input sensitivity up to only about 2 Volts, Polk's Variable Input Sensitivity ensures high performance even with older, low-power head units by accepting 200mV up to 8 Volts, and allowing Line Level (RCA) or Speaker Wire inputs.
- Fully adjustable electronic crossovers power any install using virtually any speakers on the market.
- The exclusive Polk/MOMO Pre-EQ Switch optimizes the amp's active crossovers for use with Polk/MOMO Ultra High Performance Speakers and Subwoofers for perfect sound every time! In the C400.4, Pre-EQ is an auto-preset filter (2nd Order HP, Fc 5.5kHz, Q of 0.707; 2nd Order LP, Fc 3kHz, Q of 0.707; 3rd order HP, Fc 50Hz, Q of 0.707; Notch Filter, Fc 11.7kHz, Q of 5.5, -2dB) that replaces the MMC Series passive Xover, and provides greater dynamic range and efficiency with MMC Series Speakers.
- Remote Subwoofer Level Control available separately.
Built To Be The Best.
- Industrial-strength extruded aluminum, supremely rigid and warp-resistant, with excellent heat dissipation for more reliable performance. Styled in conjunction with MOMO, maker of the world's most sought-after bolt-on accessories, and featuring real Carbon Fiber accents.
- 6-Way Smart System Protection (SSP) circuits: Power and Ground-Reversal Protection, Thermal and Short Protection, Current Overdraw and Low Impedance Protection circuits with auto-Standby Mode ensure safety, reliability and durability.
- Selectable Subsonic Filters (15Hz@24dB/octave) for an extra level of speaker protection. Select ON/OFF via internal jumpers to keep subsonic frequencies from reaching drivers, preventing driver damage at high levels of low frequency play and reducing stress on the power supply for extreme reliability.
- Dual (top and side) computer optimized extruded aluminum Heat Sinks for more efficient power output, superior heat dissipation and high reliability.
- Double Layer Fiberglass Epoxy Printed Circuit Boards for more rigidity and less shrinkage, with plated through-holes instead of jumpers, for twice the amount of component contact area. Efficient layout safely packs more circuitry, with tighter component tolerances, into a smaller circuit board for a smaller overall amp footprint.
- Removable cast aluminum End Caps offer more flexible install options, including an even smaller amp footprint.
- Power, Thermal and Short Protection LEDs easily visible on top plate.
- Hideaway Cover Plate conceals the wiring and the "Set It Once" user-adjustable controls for clean-looking, fiddle-free installs.
|Total Frequency Response||< 10Hz to 45kHz|
|Signal-to-noise (Referenced to rated power)||105 dBA|
|Remote Gain||0 to -30dB|
|Protection Circuitry||Power and ground reversal, Thermal and Short, Current Overdraw and Low Impedance Protection with auto stand-by mode|
|Subsonic Filter||24dB/Octave @ 15Hz|
|High Pass Filter|
|Filter Slope||12db/oct. or 24dB/oct.|
|Filter Frequency||adjustable 50Hz - 5kHz|
|Low Pass Filter|
|Filter Slope||12db/oct. or 24dB/oct.|
|Filter Frequency||adjustable 50Hz - 5kHz|
|Input Impedance||10.0000 k ohms|
|Output Impedance||0.0200 ohms|
|Product Weight (each)||13.50 pounds|
|Height||2 1/2" (6.35cm)|
|Depth||9 3/4" (24.77cm)|
|Height||2 1/2" (6.35cm)|
|Width||15 1/2" (39.37cm)|
|Depth||9 3/4" (24.77cm)|
|Channel Notes||4/3/2 (bridgeable)|
|Total Dynamic Power||975 watts|
|12V & Ground Cable Gauge||accept up to 4 AWG wire|
|Total Shipping Weight||15.00 pounds|
Amplifier Power Specs
|RMS Power at 14.4V|
|Watts per channel NOT bridged @ 1 kHz|
|4 ohms||75 watts|
|2 ohms||100 watts|
|Watts per channel bridged|
|4 ohms||200 watts|
Specifications, dimensions and features subject to change without notice. For more information call us at 1-800-377-7655 (USA and Canada). Outside of North America call +1 (410) 358-3600.
15 reviews with an average of 5Write your own review
by Aaron, October 20, 20042 out of 2 people found this review helpful.
Great sound, tons of power, easy to tune.
No subsonic filter for subwoofer use.
Very nice amp! I replaced my aging Sound Stream REF644S with this Polk amp. I have been putting off replacing my Sound Stream because I never found an amp that was as great sounding or versatile but it has finaly died. The Polk actually sounds slightly better (cleaner at high volumes) and is easier to tune. Great job guys!
by Lyn Ramp, November 26, 20030 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
The amps provide a strong continuous power to give you a tighter and more accurate response for your co-axial speakers or components.
The only weakness that i noted was the inability to link the amps together using the external bass control.
I have been an alpine fan for as long as i can remember when it came to having an amp that was clear and had true continuous power. To be honest with you when i swapped out my alpine for the polk amps i was doing it strictly so that my amps and subs would match for a cleaner install....Boy, was i suprised when my components sounded better then they ever have before. They were crisper and tighter then any amp i had put on the speakers previously. Polk amps are defenitely some of the best amps i have come across in my almost ten years of being in the car audio market and i would suggest them to anyone from the entry level customer to the out most enthusiast.
by Colin A. Eliot, December 14, 20030 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
great power- I am actually getting 90w x 4 at 4 ohms, despite the rated 75w. clean, classy design. Not a single wire shows anywhere in my system with the front plate on. Very flexible crossover section.
none. this is the best amp I have owned
This is an excellent amp. I got a great deal on it and I am very glad I got my hands on it. It pushes my db 650s and db 690s and they sound amazing. I would recommend this amp to anyone who can afford it. Looks great next to my 500.1
by CornisNeonBlue, May 25, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
All the Power In the world Plus more. Blew out a set of db650's in 30 sec's no lie (Wanted to test out the warranty)
Installed behind the drivers seat of a reg cab s10........gets extreamly hot when it starts pumping power but thats preatty much with anything ....lol
This amp Is amazing. Makes everything found great.
by travis, September 1, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
great looks, sound, and easy adjustability
best amp i have ever heard. i had never heard an amp blow away a JL audo until this one. polk did an great job on this one.
by John, January 24, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Clean, easy, wireless looking install for a novice installer.
Make sure you spend some serious time tweaking this amp, otherwise it will sound like crap. And read the manual, if your not sure what does what in the settings.
About a month ago I got the complete MOMO setup in my 98 Legacy, and it is sheer beauty. The 4 channel complements the MOMO components in the front, and the coaxial in the rear like a dream of sound. I considered the alpine, audiobahn, JL, and infinity, and this is by far the victor for sound and price. Also, extremely easy to make a very clean, wireless looking install for a novice installer.
by robsatx, May 21, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Look, sound feel. Easy to setup. The crossovers work really well for noobs.
Need to place the adjustments on the top of the amp.
DANG! Where do I start . . .OK, I have a listing at www.cardomain.com/id/robsatx you can see I have a Phoenix Gold(PG) Xenon 100.4 amp. I decided to add a sub, cause I just could not get enough bass from my Polk MMC 6x9s & Polk MMC 6.5s in my 2005 Tacoma. I was going to purchase PG Mono amp for my sub. After I measured, i figured I could not mount them both where I wanted them. So I did some research and came across polks Amps( did not know they made any). The two amps "joined" together fit perfect in the spot. What I did not expect was the SOUND was soooooo much better. Know I am bummed, cause I have not hooked up my sub, but the bass is so clean from my MMCs . . . I could never get the PG "just right". The Polk amp is the "stuff". The only NON polk equipment I have is my Alpine Head Unit and IPOD controller. Also, my sub is an infinity. Just heard to many good things about these subs . . . I don't want to "bash" the PG amp, I think maybe I did not know how to set it up being green and all . . but man the difference is NIGHT and DAY. I am itching to install the sub and second amp . . .
by wrenchman, September 9, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Circuit protection!!! SIX WAY!!! Power to spare, nice size, and great sound!
Now i need the matching two x for my subs which will be polks. Out with the old!
Wow, was i surprised when i turned this amp on. I bought this as a replacement when an Ecli-- amp failed.I have had polk car speakers and home audio speakers but was not shure about their amps. Rated at 75wx4 at 4ohm. The cirtificate tested it at 90w . IT has every bit of 90 watts.Oh my , It is crisp clean and does not fall off till the end. I have had amps twice this price that sound almost as good.
by Todd, September 22, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Output specs could be broken down by configuration to make it a bit easier to understand, specifically for three channel.
Awesome amp for the buck! Crisp, clean sound that matches other name brand amps but at a much lower price.
by thornh, October 22, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Birth sheet rates amp output at 93 watts RMS per channel! Clean!
Have not found one yet.
Just added the C400.4 to my system, powering db690's in the rear and db6500 components in the front. I am amazed by what more juice does for these speakers, I thought they sounded great powered by my Panasonic head unit! (the only non polk audio component in the system) May change out speakers for the Momo's...
by Blaise Mastroti, December 2, 20060 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
This the best amp i ever put on my car, the sound ex exceptional clear sound, just have to hear it for your self.
by Michael Hubbard, December 23, 20060 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Excellent design, A+ quality sound with crispness.
No weaknesses that I can see.
I just put this amp in my truck and in the 5 years that my JL Audio amp was in my truck, the Polk Audio 400.4 was the only amp that sounds slightly better than it for mids and highs. This is a clean amp with very good crossover controls. It is important to read the manual to tune the amp properly otherwise the speakers will not sound good. Once that is done, this is without a doubt the cleanest amp for mids and highs that I ever heard hands down. Plus it's solid, sturdy and attractive. It also does not drain a lot of power out of your battery. Once this amp was in, more power went to my bass.
by Dr Jos Jasper, January 26, 20070 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Clear vivid deep sound - cuts like a knife.
None really, but i do miss a free air sub.
I am writing from India and it is only now Polk has enterd India. I have a Pioneer head with a Polk momo C400.4 amp and Polk momo MMC690. the sub is a free air sub. I have used aother speakers before including sony, infinity, jbl and blau. but the minute i turned on the system the difference in mid and high waas very clear. the sound is crystal clear , with a wide and true soundstage. The sub which used to sound vague and muddy with a prev amp now sounds very tight with the "kidney Punch" being very obvious.
by Jared Turner, February 18, 20080 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Clean sound at all volume levels.
I have used Rockford Amps for the last 10 years and none of them can compare to the clean mid and high range that you receive from the polk.The clarity at high volume is outstanding.
by Jason G, September 19, 20090 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
I bought this amp from another car stereo guy. It is a clean-sounding and powerful amp, and I appreciate the flexibility of the built-in crossovers. I have 2 minor issues to pick with the amp though: 1) the hex indents for the power and ground wire connections are not very deep and it is difficult to get much torque on them with an allen wrench without the allen wrench coming out. 2) the plastic parts where the power and speaker connections are screwed down have a tendency to vibrate at certain frequencies when the amp is attached to a sub box. I squeezed a small dab of silicone between the plastic and metal seam on each of the connectors to make sure there is no vibration. Great amp in all!
View all Professional Reviews
Performance Auto & Sound, February 2005
"The C400.4 makes great power, looks totally cool and comes in a tight package. The amp exceeds its power ratings in all categories by a significant margin...this amp is a hit."
This product is considered a "Recent" or "Vintage" Polk Audio model. It is not a part of our current product lineup. It may still be available in some stores as a "close out" or "used" product. Information provided here about this product may not reflect current realities and does not imply availability. If you happen to have a question or concern about this product, contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 M-F 9am - 5:30pm EST. Chances are we remember it.
Want to know more? Want to dig just a little deeper to learn about this product? Here's a list of source material that will give more detail, other perspectives, and answer questions you may have.