This product is a vintage Polk model and is not available for sale, but it may still be available in some stores as a closeout or used product. The following text is taken from the original sales brochure for this product and does not reflect current availability. If you happen to have any question or concerns about this product, or any other Polk Audio product, feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm EST
"The C500.1 greatly exceeds its rated power production capabilities. The amp produced an incredible 617 Watts. Finally, with the extra 0.9V added to the supply, the amp cranked out an incredible 691.5 Watts." - Performance Auto & Sound 1/04
"I changed my subwoofer amps from [Brand X] to Polk C500.1. The Polks blow away the [Brand X]s. The Polk amps make my woofers hit harder, go lower and play louder." - Brian Hughes, Trophy-Winning Pro Tuner
Championship Performance means: More Power. Better Sound. More Control. Built To Be The Best.
- Polk's Massive Dynamic Headroom (MDH) Power Supply uses multiple smaller-value capacitors wired in parallel to lower the Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR). This lowers impedance for more efficiency, faster transient response, more instantaneous power peaks, tighter bass and better control.
- The MDH Power Supply features oversized Toroidal Transformers to more easily deliver high voltage, high current power. This set of tremendous transformers lowers the incidental radiation of stray magnetic fields for uncontaminated audio signals.
- Oversized Power Supply BUS Bars achieve maximum power transfer from the MDH Power Supply to the audio circuitry for more efficient high voltage, high current output stages.
- Power Supply "Choke"? Inductor reduces stray noise effects from power cables and alternators, cutting ground loop disturbances for truly quiet amp performance.
- The C500.1 Mono Amp features JFET Input Gain Stages to provide low-noise amplification for quieter amp operation and warmer sound, while efficient Class-D, N-channel HEXFET MOSFETS deal out hard-hitting bass.
- High current Bipolar Output Transistors with low impedance pump maximum voltage and high-current to your speakers. Dual low noise Operational Amplifiers at the input gain stages deliver higher gain & wider bandwidth at a faster â€œslewâ€? rate (with the ability to change voltage â€œon the flyâ€?), for excellent transient response.
- High-end Non-Inductive Metalized Film Capacitors in the active filter stages for excellent transient response and extended bandwidth with low noise and low distortion.
- Surface mounted Metal Film Resistors are used in the audio signal path, delivering higher performance with lower noise and less fluctuation (â€œvalue driftâ€?) over time. MFR technology is so stable that your music will sound perfect for the life of your amp.
- High damping factor at the speaker output terminals improves driver control for tighter, punchier bass.
- While most amps have an input sensitivity up to only about 2 Volts, Polk's Variable Input Sensitivity ensures high performance even with older, low-power head units by accepting 200mV up to 8 Volts, and allowing Line Level (RCA) or Speaker Wire inputs.
- Fully adjustable electronic crossovers power any install using virtually any speakers on the market.
- The exclusive Polk/MOMO Pre-EQ Switch optimizes the amp's active crossovers for use with Polk/MOMO Ultra High Performance Speakers and Subwoofers for perfect sound every time! In the C500.1, the Pre-EQ is a single-band fixed EQ (+9dB @ 40Hz, bandwidth of 1/3 octave) specifically tailored to punch up Polk/MOMO Sub response.
- Easily installed Remote Subwoofer Level Control is included with the C500.1 Mono Amp. (Available separately for the other models.)
Built To Be The Best.
- Industrial-strength extruded aluminum, supremely rigid and warp-resistant, with excellent heat dissipation for more reliable performance. Styled in conjunction with MOMO, maker of the world's most sought-after bolt-on accessories, and featuring real Carbon Fiber accents.
- 6-Way Smart System Protection (SSP) circuits: Power and Ground-Reversal Protection, Thermal and Short Protection, Current Overdraw and Low Impedance Protection circuits with auto-Standby Mode ensure safety, reliability and durability.
- Selectable Subsonic Filters (15Hz@24dB/octave) for an extra level of speaker protection. Select ON/OFF via internal jumpers to keep subsonic frequencies from reaching drivers, preventing driver damage at high levels of low frequency play and reducing stress on the power supply for extreme reliability.
- Dual (top and side) computer optimized extruded aluminum Heat Sinks for more efficient power output, superior heat dissipation and high reliability.
- Double Layer Fiberglass Epoxy Printed Circuit Boards for more rigidity and less shrinkage, with plated through-holes instead of jumpers, for twice the amount of component contact area. Efficient layout safely packs more circuitry, with tighter component tolerances, into a smaller circuit board for a smaller overall amp footprint.
- Removable cast aluminum End Caps offer more flexible install options, including an even smaller amp footprint.
- Power, Thermal and Short Protection LEDs easily visible on top plate.
- Hideaway Cover Plate conceals the wiring and the "Set It Once" user-adjustable controls for clean-looking, fiddle-free installs.
|Total Frequency Response||< 10Hz to 200Hz|
|Signal-to-noise (Referenced to rated power)||105 dBA|
|Remote Gain||0 to -30dB|
|Protection Circuitry||Power and ground reversal, Thermal and Short, Current Overdraw and Low Impedance Protection with auto stand-by mode|
|Subsonic Filter||24dB/Octave @ 15Hz|
|Low Pass Filter|
|Filter Slope||12 or 24dB/Octave|
|Filter Frequency||30Hz to 200Hz|
|Input Impedance||10.0000 k ohms|
|Output Impedance||0.0200 ohms|
|Product Weight (each)||10.00 pounds|
|Height||2 1/2" (6.35cm)|
|Depth||9 3/4" (24.77cm)|
|Channel Notes||1 MonoBlock|
|Total Dynamic Power||975 watts|
|12V & Ground Cable Gauge||accept up to 4 AWG wire|
|Total Shipping Weight||12.00 pounds|
Amplifier Power Specs
|RMS Power at 14.4V|
|Watts per channel NOT bridged @ 1 kHz|
|4 ohms||350 watts|
|2 ohms||500 watts|
Specifications, dimensions and features subject to change without notice. For more information call us at 1-800-377-7655 (USA and Canada). Outside of North America call +1 (410) 358-3600.
18 reviews with an average of 5Write your own review
by Anthony, October 30, 20030 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Flexable preamp section Input range from 200mV to 8V Great power output (537@2ohms RMS) Small Footprint Great looks
Non-isolated mounting feet (though they supply rubber washers) Would like to see a 800 or 1000 watt model also Pricey ($449.99)
Awesome amp. Very flexable preamp section. Took my 8volt input with no problem. Have it powering two Polk/Momo MM2124 (12") in a .92ft3 box. They pound. Best amp I have owned so far.
by Colin A. Eliot, December 14, 20030 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
small footprint, powerful at 2 ohms, nice crossover features with very flexible settings (see also weaknesses)
would like to see more power at 4ohms- I had to get a dual voice coil sub since space was a major concern for me. also I do not understand the Polk Pre-Eq switch on the X-over..I was using this initally with a Polk MM12 sub and I think using the pre-eq switch made it sound like crap..I bypassed it and did the settings myself and got a much nicer sound
I purchased this amp initally because I got a great deal on it, plus I liked the clean, simple look. I coupled it with the 400.4, so I like how the 2 amps look like 1 giant amp in my trunk. I initally had it pushing a Polk MM12 sub, but was not satified that I was only getting about 350w at 4 ohm, so I changed subs and now am pushing an Alpine Type-R 12 at 2 ohms and this amp does a great job of it. It was bench tested at the factory at 550w at 14.4v, which I am easily getting. I would recommend this amp to anyone who can get it at 2 ohms (space is a concern to me, so I had to go for a dual voice coil sub vs getting a 2nd MM12 to drop the ohm load)
by Darrell, March 2, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Nice size. powerful amp. Doesn't need a fan. love the bass booster remote.
there arent any for me.
I bought it from circuitcity. I had a MTx 6500 D Class amp but it went bad. So i seen the polk 500.1 amp. I got some Treo 12.4 4ohm speakers. I said could they push them? So they hook them up and i said Yeah!!!! I thought polk oly made speakers. I was wrong. Best choice i made so far.
by Ryan, April 5, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
For how small the amp is, it really packs a punch!! I like the look of the amp, especially when linked together with another Polk MOMO amp.
Price is a bit high. Polk needs to put out a mono amp with more RMS power. I was unable to go with the Polk MM104's like I originally planned to because of wattage/impedance issues.
This amp puts out some clean power, definately impressive. I have it running 2 Polk MM2104's in Q-logic custom fit enclosures in my truck and it thumps! Comparable to the JL 500/1 and the Alpine MRD-M500.
by Bryan, April 15, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
I just bought two of the MM104's and have the C500s model polk amp is this going to be enough power for two of these subs? will it be under powered? can you do harm to the sub if its under powered? Sorry im just learning. cant wait to try them
by MiKE, May 16, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
1)the amp looks good...it has class and lives up to the polk momo name...it doesn't have the hokey, cheesy look of the audiobahns and the other agressive looking but not agressive sounding amps... 2)small and compact but still packs the power
1)the price is a bit much, but not too much if you are serious about car audio
Best amp i have come across...i'm pushing 2 12" alpine type r's and i have the amp on half-way and it's still maxing out the subs...i need to upgrade my subs now so i can get the most out of the amp...i'm thinking about going with the mm12's...i did have a 1000 watt kenwood kac-929 but it fried itself into protection mode...i'm not messing with anything else but polk now...i'm now a true believer of the clean power this amp produces...
by TRAVIS, July 29, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
RUNS REALLY GOOD IN HOT OR COLD WEATHER! BELIVE ME I LIVE IN CHICAGO!
THE ONLY THING THAT IS A PAIN IS PUTTING THE COVER BACK ON WHEN WIRING IT UP, BESIDES THAT NO WEAKNESSES TO ME!
I HAVE TO SAY THIS AMP IS ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS LESS THAN THE JL AUDIO AND SOUNDS REALLY DARN CLOSE! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO BEFORE BUYING IT IS ASK YOURSELF IS "SHOULD I BUY TWO?"
by Donald, October 21, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Great sound quality. Many Eqaulization options. Can be linked together seemlessly. Remote gain comes with sub amp!! Looks Great. The list goes on and on...
A more powerful amp would be nice. But for 500 watts it really hits.
I just put this monoblock, as well as a c400.4 4channel into my '01 Malibu. It's paired with 2 Polk Momo 2124 sub and Polk Momo 4x6 and 6 x 9 speakers. The whole setup is amazing. The bass hits hard and it's very clear for 12s. I listen to many different types of music and the bass doesn't over power music that it shouldn't. The amps run cool in my trunk as well in this hot ass Florida weather. The last amp i had, a JBL 1200.1, would shut off after about 2 hours of continous play but these just keep on going. For the price and performance that you get, Polk Momo can't be beat.
by ajmorell, November 30, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Plenty of power. Can be tweaked to make perform optimally.
Can't think of any.
I bought this amp to power my 2 10" Infinitys. All I can say is wow. They sound great. This amp made all the difference in my system.
by robsatx, June 24, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Where to start!! I put this amp in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma along with my stereo upgrade of an Alpine CDA-9853, KCA-420i Ipod Controller this thing rox! This is my second review, I will attach my review on the 4 channel polk. I have this amp driving a single Infinity VQ 10" sub. If I had more room, I still WOULD not add another sub. This thing pumps out some volume. Check out my cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/id/robsatx My review of the 4 channel polk amp below: STRENGTHS: Look, sound feel. Easy to setup. The crossovers work really well for noobs. WEAKNESSES: Need to place the adjustments on the top of the amp. REVIEW: DANG! Where do I start . . .OK, I have a listing at www.cardomain.com/id/robsatx you can see I have a Phoenix Gold(PG) Xenon 100.4 amp. I decided to add a sub, cause I just could not get enough bass from my Polk MMC 6x9s & Polk MMC 6.5s in my 2005 Tacoma. I was going to purchase PG Mono amp for my sub. After I measured, i figured I could not mount them both where I wanted them. So I did some research and came across polks Amps( did not know they made any). The two amps "joined" together fit perfect in the spot. What I did not expect was the SOUND was soooooo much better. Know I am bummed, cause I have not hooked up my sub, but the bass is so clean from my MMCs . . . I could never get the PG "just right". The Polk amp is the "stuff". The only NON polk equipment I have is my Alpine Head Unit and IPOD controller. Also, my sub is an infinity. Just heard to many good things about these subs . . . I don't want to "bash" the PG amp, I think maybe I did not know how to set it up being green and all . . but man the difference is NIGHT and DAY. I am itching to install the sub and second amp . . .
by Ben, August 5, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
More than enough power. Sleek design.
This is a great amplifier. I've had it over a year and have had no problems what-so-ever. It seems to be underrated as far as power, so you get more power than you expect.
by thornh, October 22, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Birth sheet rates amp a 533 watts, it's nice to see an amplifier that beats it advertised rating for a change!
None to report as of this review!
Replaced a Sony class D with this amp powering 2 MM2084 subs. Wow what a difference, these 8" subs hit a lot harder and sound i much cleaner with this amp.
by Elijah Baker, April 17, 20060 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
very powerful to push three subs
need's to have more power @ 2ohms
i bought one of these babies just see what the hype was about. so previous to this i owned two polk twelves.well now let me tell you i have a 05 ford taurus and i have this little monster hooked up to three alpine type r twelves, damn that's all i can say i get a headache everytime i cranked it up. man i loves this amp although i do plan on putting a bigger amp just hear how loud my subs really can get Peace
by Nick, June 8, 20060 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
very good amp for size and not to mention nice looking
a bit pricy and wish i could see a 1 ohm load???
i bought this amp about a year ago and let me tell you i have been completly satisfied with it .. i was pushing 2 rockford fosgate 12" p3's with no problem. this amp never turnes off if you push it hard .. it just keeps pushing harder and harder.
by Matthew Pfeifer, January 24, 20070 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Looks awsome, and has the preformance to match!
I love this amp. There is nothing wrong with it. It looks good, hits hard, and is just overall a great amp. I have 2 of them powering 2 SR124DVC's and it sounds amazing. This is a great example of Polk Audio's ongoing customer satisfaction.
by Ahmed, May 19, 20070 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
This is an excellent amp and can surely handle some abuse. I've had this thing powering my 12" momo sub for long periods of time, and this thing never over heats. Its simply amazing!
I currently have 2 of these amps. Right now I'm only using one to power my mm2124 svc sub and even at only 350 watts it sounds great. When i get around to purchasing a pair of sr124 dvc subs after i finish building my sealed enclosure, i will have one sub powering each sub. Now THAT, i cannot wait for!
by Doug, July 11, 20070 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Compact, powerful, great looking, musically-oriented deep bass amplifier
Even more power would be better, but this is still a very powerful amplifier
WOW--this is a fantastic amplifier. I'd like to give you specifics (brand names) of what I was running previously but I know Polk has a thing about posting non-Polk brand names, so suffice to say I had a fairly high-end amp ($500 600 watt rms amplifier) powering a single 10" sub in a custom 2.4 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 24hz. Although the aforementioned set-up sounded fantastic and was commented on by numerous people as being one of the best sounding subwoofers/enclosures they have heard, I still thought I'd give the Polk amplifier a whirl--primarily because I wanted something with a 24db per octave crossover and something geared primarily towards SQ. Compared with the previous amp, this amp plays noticably cleaner on all reproduced frequencies and louder/cleaner/more powerfully on extremely low notes (20hz-40hz). This amp really brought the low range to life, bringing about nuances, details and impactful deep bass that was non-existent or weakly-reproduced by the previous amp. Couple that with the facts that this is amp is smaller and has a lower advertised RMS power-rating than my previous amp and its impossible to conclude anything other than that this is a terrific, brilliantly-engineered amplifier. If you're simply looking for loudless, I'm sure you could spend $550 bucks on something else that would get you more sheer volume/wattage. But if you're someone who is concerned with quality as well as quantity; that is, if you're someone who realizes bass is a meaningful element of music and not simply an acouistical vibration designed to render rear-view mirrors useless and set off car alarms then this is an amp well worth purchasing.
by fred, April 6, 20090 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
clean bass plenty of power for an amp under 1,000 watts
cannot wire my 2 dvc 10 inch subs at a 2 ohm load
i recently bought this amp from a friend for way under retail i i just want to say it's plenty of power for my two 10 inch dvc subs i will not say what they are but i am only running the vr's at 4ohm's and they shake the ground , i am planning on upgradeing my speakers to polk bottom line this amp was a great purchase
This product is considered a "Recent" or "Vintage" Polk Audio model. It is not a part of our current product lineup. It may still be available in some stores as a "close out" or "used" product. Information provided here about this product may not reflect current realities and does not imply availability. If you happen to have a question or concern about this product, contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 M-F 9am - 5:30pm EST. Chances are we remember it.
Want to know more? Want to dig just a little deeper to learn about this product? Here's a list of source material that will give more detail, other perspectives, and answer questions you may have.