This product is a vintage Polk model and is not available for sale, but it may still be available in some stores as a closeout or used product. The following text is taken from the original sales brochure for this product and does not reflect current availability. If you happen to have any question or concerns about this product, or any other Polk Audio product, feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm EST
8 inch Component Subwoofer
Polk/MOMO Championship Performance car audio speakers are engineered by Polk Audio with ultra high-tech materials for competition-level performance and durability. They're styled exclusively by MOMO, the world's preeminent designer of racing accessories, to look as good as they sound. And for motor sports enthusiasts the world over, a MOMO product is a charismatic symbol of the finest quality.
When you consider your car an extension of your personality, Polk Audio/MOMO High Performance Car Audio is the perfect synthesis of technology and design.
The ultra-stiff Dynamic Balance Cone Polk/MOMO Subwoofers womps out massive bass. Its Dish Cone design is mechanically supported by a unique Vented Cone Coupler. This support increases the sub's axial rigidity. (It's like steel girders for your subwoofer!) Even with huge max power ratings, these subs are optimized for small enclosures, so they fit where you want your bass.
MM2084 Technologies and Features:
- Ultra-stiff Metalized Polypropylene Dynamic Balance Cone for massive bass.
- Dish Cone design is supported by a Vented Cone Coupler, increasing axial rigidity "like Viagra for your subwoofer!"
- State-of-the-art laser-based Klippel measurement technology perfectly centers the subwoofer's voice coil in the magnetic field, improving X-max and BL linearity, and the sub's micro and macro dynamics, for deep, precise, stomach-shaking and spine-wrenching bass.
- Optimized for high performance in small sealed enclosures but versatile enough to pound hard even in bandpass and vented enclosures¾ Flat, deep bass with great extension as only Polk/MOMO can do it.
- Marine Certified Polk/MOMO speakers are built tough to withstand the toughest environments so they are perfect for use in boats of all types. That's why Correct Craft offers Polk/MOMO speakers in their award-winning Nautiques ski and wakeboarding boats. Professional wakeboarder Brian Francis choose Polk/MOMO speakers woofers and amps for his MasterCraft boat and Chevy Avalanche truck for maximum entertainment and excitement on the road and wave.
- Built tough and backed by the best warranty in the car audio world: Three years parts and labor.
- Triple vented for maximum airflow, high dissipation and high power handling: Vented Coil/Cone Coupler, Vented Spider Platform and Vented Pole Piece all allow cooling air to freely flow over the heat-generating components and better harness all the watts your amp can dish out.
- Durable, airtight Rubber Surround for a long life of extended linear motion, optimized to achieve the longest throw possible for the cone: "Big cone, big throw!"
- Huge, fire-retardant flat NOMEX® Spider allows extended linear motion while providing highly reliable mechanical and thermal stability.
- Acoustically inert Stamped Steel Basket with massive, rock-solid non-flexing magnet and motor assembly with removable Rubber Magnet Boot for more damping and deeper install flexibility.
- Anti-Resonance Trim Gasket for tight fit with G Series Grilles, removable for over 1/4Â² of installation flexibility.
- Heat shrink rubber coated tinsel leads with strain relief terminal connections to take the punishment of long excursion bass.
- Professional Grade Nickel Plated Locking Push Terminals for secure connections; big holes accept nice fat wire, big as 12 gauge!
- Optional MOMO Design "Quasar II" rim-style G8 Grille available separately at your authorized Polk Audio AutoSound dealer, or at shop.polkaudio.com.
|Type||Metalized (aluminum) Polypropylene Dynamic Balance cone|
|Total Frequency Response||26Hz-200Hz|
|Nominal Impedance||4 ohms|
|Driver Diameter||1 1/2" (3.81cm)|
|Magnet Weight||25.00 pounds|
Thiele / Small Parameters
|Resonant Frequency||43 Hz|
|Xmax Linear||.709 in. / 18 mm.|
|Recommended Enclosure||Sealed / Ported / Bandpass|
|SD||34.72 sq.in. / 224 sq. cm.|
|VAS||0.562 cu.ft./15.9 L|
|Cut-Out Diameter||7 1/16" (17.94cm)|
|Driver Mounting Depth|
|Top Mount without Cup||4" (10.16cm)|
|Top Mount||4 1/4" (10.79cm)|
|Bottom Mount||4 9/16" (11.59cm)|
|Product Weight (each)||9.00 pounds|
|Speaker Warranty||3 years parts and labor (original purchaser)|
Specifications, dimensions and features subject to change without notice. For more information call us at 1-800-377-7655 (USA and Canada). Outside of North America call +1 (410) 358-3600.
11 reviews with an average of 5Write your own review
by tim, September 23, 20030 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
i would buy this speaker iver any other speaker on the market
when i turn up the base it hurts my ears i only have a cheap sony xplod cd player.
i have purchased this speaker last wekend at premium sound of alpena michigan and i have to say this is the best speaker i have ever bought.
by george smith, December 30, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
these subs are great i have them in a 91 s-10 with all polk/momo items. two of these hit as hard as the two kenwood tens I had before!!!
by charles, September 4, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
small box requirments.
best sub woofer god has ever put on the planet!!! installed in a small ported box i have sales reps from other companies wondering where the 12' sub is. i laugh at them! the bass is so punchy and controlled.
by Phil, September 8, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Very strong bass for its size.
None that i've noticed, havent had it too long
I have 150watts continuous running to it and this thing sounds awesome. definately sounds very very good. I have heard single 10's and 12's and i really cant tell a difference. Very deep tone. I have it in the trunk of my 1997 honda prelude, if that helps. Probably good to keep it in a small car. I really liked my polk mmc690's and i decided to get the polk sub to get w/ it. Great choice.
by Marshall, December 1, 20040 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
hard hittin bass small sealed box requirements makes them good for small trucks
im not sure if its from leaving them out in the cold or what but some of the silver on the cone is slowy dissapating but it doesnt affect the sound so...
these are awesome subs for 8s. with an enough power they can keep up with larger speakers. i have 2 of them in an 84 ford ranger and they are probably the largest speaker i could fit behind the seat. before i got them i was hesitant to how much bass 8s could put out. thats seriously not a problem with these! a sealed box is the way to go though so id stay away from ported enclosers with these.
by phil, February 6, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Awesome Bass for its small size.
None, when considered in context, its a great sub!
I reviewed this earlier, and since the I have gotten a new amp, so i'll review it again: WOW! the alpine 175watt rms amp makes this ONE sub sound AMAZING! I couldnt imagine having more bass from an 8" sub, I cant even listen to it maxed out, i have the DB on my head unit set at 0, not +2, +4, or even +6, AMAZING BASS. The alpine amp made a world of difference on an already good sounding sub!
by Cammie, May 15, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
The thing that impresses me the most about these subs is the deepness of the bass response and the sound quality.
The only thing i can say about these subs are they don't like a lot of power. They are rated at 200 watts rms but i found that about 150 watts rms per sub sounds best.
Man these are the best damn 8 inch subs ive ever owned. What makes these subs so impressive is the deepness of the bass response and the sound quality of the sub. These subs sound as good as 10 inch speakers. If you have a truck with limited space don't be afraid to try these baby's trust me people will swear you have tens in your ride.
by Paul G, September 7, 20050 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Great kick! feels like someone punching me in the head.
a little rough on the low end bottoming out, but a subsonic filter takes care of that
I got 4 of these badboys in my isuzu amigo and recently hit 137.7db! Theres nothing like tellin these guys with 12s and 15s that my 8s are louder!
by Justin Moses, June 26, 20060 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Good all round subwoofer design. They seem to run very cool and even when pushed hard they dont make much mechanical noise. They are very well built, decent hardware. Definite best buy in my opinion.
These subwoofer do not allow for much of an increase in the size of the sealed box beyond the subwoofer parameters. Other than that, they are perfect.
I have 4 of these 8" subwoofers in 4 independent small sealed boxes behind my seats in my 1996 Indy 500 edition Dodge Ram and they sound awesome. I use to have 2 12" JBL subwoofers behind my seats and these are par with them if not better. Ive always used 10" and 12" subwoofers. This is my first experience with 8's and I love it. Just remember to keep the boxes small as possible or they will bottom out very easy when you crank them up loud.
by Bluehill29, April 26, 20070 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Smooth, tight, accurate bass. Decent volume and power handling capacity.
I wish it came with the Momo grill.
Overall I'm very impressed with this sub. I've had systems with subs ranging from 2 Fosgate 15's in my younger days, 2 JL 12's, 2 Boston Acoustic 10's, as well as various 8 inchers. This is the best sounding sub I've owned apart from an older pair of 10" Boston Acoustics pro series (which we're wayyyy more expensive). For my tastes this sub provides more bass than I'll ever need. I'm powering it with a Punch 300.1 with Polk DB6501 components up front and some db501's in the back for fill (when I have passengers) powered by a Punch 450.4.
by Billy Jones, June 25, 20070 out of 0 people found this review helpful.
Are just the ticket for limited space or height.
None in my application.
I put two in my ski boat, along with some more Polk speakers. I had to use 8" subs because of the limited space in my boat. These combined with the 6.5's speakers are some of the best sounding speakers I have heard. Don't let the size of these subs fool you, they are on par with 10" and 12" subs of other makers. They put out good hard hitting bass that I was looking for.
This product is considered a "Recent" or "Vintage" Polk Audio model. It is not a part of our current product lineup. It may still be available in some stores as a "close out" or "used" product. Information provided here about this product may not reflect current realities and does not imply availability. If you happen to have a question or concern about this product, contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 M-F 9am - 5:30pm EST. Chances are we remember it.
Want to know more? Want to dig just a little deeper to learn about this product? Here's a list of source material that will give more detail, other perspectives, and answer questions you may have.