This product is a vintage Polk model and is not available for sale, but it may still be available in some stores as a closeout or used product. The following text is taken from the original sales brochure for this product and does not reflect current availability. If you happen to have any question or concerns about this product, or any other Polk Audio product, feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm EST
Two-way floorstanding loudspeaker
Incredible Sound/Affordable Price
The name "Monitor" is special to Polk Audio. The original Polk Audio Monitor Series, produced in the mid-1970s, ushered in the modern loudspeaker era by setting the standard for performance and value. The original Monitor Series is the line that made Polk Audio famous with its simple, sturdy construction, clear, accurate sound, powerful bass and superior imaging all at a price that made great sound available to everyone.
The newly reborn Monitor Series is classic Polk: a quality-built, affordable line of high performance loudspeakers for music and home theater. They are highly efficient, so they can be driven easily by unpretentious receivers, and they are voice matched for lifelike surround sound environments. The Monitor Series boasts a stylish look that complements today's flat screen technology, with wood grain finishes and modern Titanium faces, and beefy stabilizer feet on the tower models. Built for speed, sound and value, the Monitor Series is a great introduction to high performance sound.
The Monitor 50 features:
- High efficiency design allows the Monitor Series to reveal the classic Polk Audio sound (open, spacious and clear) even when driven by modestly-powered amplifiers and receivers.
- 1-inch (25mm) Fabric/Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Dome Tweeter with powerful Neodymium magnet structure delivers clear and detailed high frequency response for realistic reproduction of vocals and instruments.
- Two 5 1/4-inch Bi-Laminate Composite Dynamic Balance Drivers are lightweight and stiff with good damping for high efficiency, excellent bass and lower distortion.
- Multiple small-diameter driver design delivers wide dispersion, better mid-range, and more detailed bass response for an open, box-less, three-dimensional sound.
- Non-resonant all-MDF enclosure construction with ¾"-thick baffles and front-to-back and side-to-side internal bracing ensures cleaner, clearer, more lifelike sound quality.
- Crossovers use Mylar bypass capacitors for more detailed high frequencies.
- Dual Five-Way Binding Post Connectors, allowing for more secure hook-up options, as well as bi-wiring and bi-amping flexibility.
- Monitor Series speakers are modern living accessories that make a stylish statement in either Black or Cherry wood grain finish, with Titanium faces.
- Magnetically shielded for safe placement on or near TVs and video monitors with no risk of video distortion.
- Bold, fat stabilizer feet that ensure stability on carpet or hard floors for more precise bass response and superior imaging.
- Slim tower design has a footprint of less than one square foot.
- Critically Tuned Flared Port minimizes port noise (chuffing) for good low frequency extension with low distortion, resulting in natural, full-bodied sound with rich bass.
|Type||Dynamic Balance Silk/polymer composite dome, magnetically shielded|
|Mid / Woofer|
|Diameter||5 1/4" (13.34cm)|
|Type||Dynamic Balance Bi-laminate composite cone driver, magnetically shielded|
|Total Frequency Response||42Hz - 25kHz|
|Upper -3dB Limit||24 kHz|
|Lower -3dB Limit||57 Hz|
|Nominal Impedance||8 ohms|
|Recommended Amplifier Power||20 - 150 watts per channel|
|Inputs||Dual (bi-amp) 5-way binding posts|
|Depth||9 5/8" (24.45cm)|
|Product Weight (each)||26.00 pounds|
|Unit of Measure||each|
|Total Shipping Weight||30.00 pounds|
|Speaker Warranty||5 years parts and labor (original purchaser)|
Specifications, dimensions and features subject to change without notice. For more information call us at 1-800-377-7655 (USA and Canada). Outside of North America call +1 (410) 358-3600.
View all Professional Reviews
"Wow. The Polk Audio Monitor 50 speakers are a fabulous addition to any home theater system. They are powerful and the sound is so real and rich that they will literally transform the way you feel about watching television at home, not to mention the effect they will have on your movie watching tendencies. The sound is amazing, especially when it comes to watching those big action packed blockbusters—with each bass rumble, you feel like you are actually in the movie."
[ Open Review ]
What Hi Fi? (France)
"The immediate striking impression regards the mid-range, which is absolutely magnificent. Let us simply list the adjectives that came to mind throughout the listening sessions: luminous, transparent, open, ethereal, unbelievably natural, spontaneous, smooth. And lots of others as well.........and the corollary of this being the dynamics, which seemed positively excellent- all the more so as the little Polk doesn't dislike high volumes- and the stereophonic image is sometimes staggering.
So, have we discovered the little marvel able to ridicule loud-speakers costing ten or twenty times its price? When it comes to the mid-range we must say that The Monitor 50 has all it takes to be compared to really high-end speakers!"
Superb mid-range/ open, natural, lively ; fantastic reproduction of voices; sound constantly spontaneous and dynamic; very good respect of rhythm; stereo stage very well-focused; nice presentation.
No extreme low-range; high-range can be insistent with certain sources or miss-marriages; fragile, un-adjustable feet.
Considering its price, this loud-speaker is without any doubt one of most wonderful discoveries of the last few months. The radiance and precision of the mid-range allow it to reach Excellency!"
(Translated from the original French text)
[ Open Review ]
This product is considered a "Recent" or "Vintage" Polk Audio model. It is not a part of our current product lineup. It may still be available in some stores as a "close out" or "used" product. Information provided here about this product may not reflect current realities and does not imply availability. If you happen to have a question or concern about this product, contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-377-7655 M-F 9am - 5:30pm EST. Chances are we remember it.
Monitor 50 Media
Monitor 50 Literature
Want to know more? Want to dig just a little deeper to learn about this product? Here's a list of source material that will give more detail, other perspectives, and answer questions you may have.